The 21-acre Runyon Preserve was acquired between 1934 and 2004.
The preserve is part of the Fiddyment Creek preservation system, which conserves nearly 300 acres of land.
Prior to the District's acquisition of the land, it was the American Legion's Legion Park. The preserve was named after local settler and Illinois and Michigan Canal visionary and advocate Armstead Runyon.
Runyon Preserve protects forest habitat and a portion of Fiddyment Creek.
Wildlife found at the preserve includes the western chorus frog.